Recently, I have been working on my personal project for building a Nix-based CI framework for Emacs Lisp packages. I started writing some Nix for building my home-manager configuration about a year ago, but the current project gives me better opportunities for learning Nix. We have a holiday in May in Japan, during which I have made progress in the project. Hopefully, I will be able to release it within a month or so.

Before switching to Emacs, I had been using Vim. As I do in Emacs, I used to add a bunch of plugins to my .vimrc. One Vim plugin I miss in Emacs is surround. As the name implies, it is a plugin for editing parentheses and brackets. I knew there existed Emacs packages for that purpose, but I did not think about how I want to do it until recently.

I am currently working on JavaScript/TypeScript projects and HTML templates for most of the time. As I now have to write code in languages other than Emacs Lisp1, I have to adapt my configuration for those languages. Actually, I often rely on Visual Studio Code, but it would be better if I could use Emacs for any languages because: It is generally a good practice to use less software. I have been using Emacs.

It has been about one month since I have started using Pixelbook. There are several reviews on experiences about the device and Chrome OS, but I am using Emacs on the operating system, and I did not find many reviews on Chrome OS / Chromebooks from an Emacs user’s point of view. I will write a post on my actual experiences with the device and the operating system. Background Before I got the machine, I had been using a desktop computer as well as an affordable laptop computer which was manufactured by a Chinese company.

It has been long since I have published the last blog post. I promised to write about using ox-hugo but haven’t done it yet (sorry Kaushal Modi), and I also have a stack of some other procrastinated tasks in the FOSS world. There was a notable change in my life, even though I am doubtful if it is in a positive direction, but I now appear to have some spare time for following my interest.

One of the issues in developing an Emacs Lisp package was configuring a test suite. You could set up a Travis CI for an Emacs Lisp project using Cask, but it was not very elegant. You had to specify dependencies both in the library header and the Cask file, which was redundant. Recently, a utility named EMake has been released. I developed a solution for running package lint before, but EMake can run package-lint, byte-compile, and ERT/buttercup tests and does not depend on Cask.

It has been long since I have published the previous post to this blog. I switched from Spacemacs to Emacs (with my own configuration) more than one month ago, and also made some changes to the theme for this blog, but didn't finish configuration for actual writing. I didn't like my previous configuration for Hugo, because I found it unnecessarily complicated after I learned a little more about Emacs.

Akira Komamura