Before switching to Emacs, I had been using Vim. As I do in Emacs, I used to add a bunch of plugins to my .vimrc. One Vim plugin I miss in Emacs is surround. As the name implies, it is a plugin for editing parentheses and brackets. I knew there existed Emacs packages for that purpose, but I did not think about how I want to do it until recently.

I am currently working on a feature for ivy-omni-org package to integrate with org-ql package by alphapapa. Ivy-omni-org is an Ivy interface which lets you choose an item from various sources on Org mode. It currently supports the following content types: Org buffers Org files Org bookmarks Custom Org agenda commands It also allows you to open a buffer/file/bookmark in another window/frame rather than in the current window by selecting an alternative action available from M-o key.

Last year, I started working in Tokyo for the first time as a programmer1. I soon left the company for several reasons and became an employee of another company based in Fukuoka, which is the fifth largest populated city in Japan. One reason2 for switching the company was that I was not allowed to use Emacs in the project. Taking into account my past work on Emacs packages, it was a nonsense that he sent me to the project where I was not allowed to use Emacs.

It has been about one month since I have started using Pixelbook. There are several reviews on experiences about the device and Chrome OS, but I am using Emacs on the operating system, and I did not find many reviews on Chrome OS / Chromebooks from an Emacs user’s point of view. I will write a post on my actual experiences with the device and the operating system. Background Before I got the machine, I had been using a desktop computer as well as an affordable laptop computer which was manufactured by a Chinese company.

It has been long since I have published the last blog post. I promised to write about using ox-hugo but haven’t done it yet (sorry Kaushal Modi), and I also have a stack of some other procrastinated tasks in the FOSS world. There was a notable change in my life, even though I am doubtful if it is in a positive direction, but I now appear to have some spare time for following my interest.

One of the issues in developing an Emacs Lisp package was configuring a test suite. You could set up a Travis CI for an Emacs Lisp project using Cask, but it was not very elegant. You had to specify dependencies both in the library header and the Cask file, which was redundant. Recently, a utility named EMake has been released. I developed a solution for running package lint before, but EMake can run package-lint, byte-compile, and ERT/buttercup tests and does not depend on Cask.

It has been long since I have published the previous post to this blog. I switched from Spacemacs to Emacs (with my own configuration) more than one month ago, and also made some changes to the theme for this blog, but didn't finish configuration for actual writing. I didn't like my previous configuration for Hugo, because I found it unnecessarily complicated after I learned a little more about Emacs. I could finally simplify my configuration for Hugo, so I will describe the new recipe in this post.

Akira Komamura